In 1881-1882, Mormon settlers came to this area north of Bancroft at the invitation of their friend and relative Chester Call, who had established a ranch nearby. Their hope was to build a thriving community, but in 1882, the Oregon Short Line Railroad was built through Bancroft instead of their community. While Chesterfield continued to grow for several years, the agricultural depression of the 1920s and 1930s dealt the final blow to the town, and it became a ghost town. Now many of the buildings are being restored, there is a museum, and guided tours are available in the summer. Most of the buildings were built between 1884 and 1904, and the site is a National Historic District.
- From the SH34/US30 Junction, go 15 miles west to Bancroft. At Bancroft turn north on Chesterfield Road and go 11 miles to the site.