This is a small house with a big story. The Old Rock House, built in 1896 from rocks originally quarried for a railroad round house, was saved from eventual destruction by the loving care and hard work of its latest owner, Anna Beauregard. The house was built by William Hopkins. He and his wife lived in it until 1919, and then Iona Mikesell, a woman who worked as a local midwife, lived here from 1919 to 1971. During the time that Iona raised her ten children here, the house had other additions to make it more liveable. These later fell down and were removed. After sitting empty for many years, the house was rescued and listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Anna bought it in 2000, and spent five years restoring it to the comfortable and homey suite it is today. The wood inside, covered by many layers of paint, was restored to its original luster; the rock coursing was patched and stabilized and for the first time ever, the little two room house got a bathroom and hot running water. On the outside of the house, you can still see rags that were stuffed into the cracks years ago for insulation. The Old Rock House is open year round and sleeps one or two persons. Call or check Anna’s website for photographs showing the charm of the house, and for more information on reservations.