Cache Visitors Bureau
199 North Main, Logan, Utah 84321
Cache Chamber of Commerce
160 North Main, Logan, Utah 84321
Bear River Heritage Area, Room 209
170 North Main, Logan, Utah 84321
Cache Valley was originally named Willow Valley because of the abundant willows growing along its many rivers and streams. Later, the name was changed to Cache Valley for the practice of early fur trappers to cache, or hide, their furs in the area.
The valley is about 50 miles long, 20 miles wide, surrounded by rugged mountains, and straddles the Utah-Idaho border. It is a green oasis in the arid west, and even greener because of the irrigation system that was established by early settlers.
It was originally only known to Indians (primarily Shoshone and Ute), then trappers. Soon after the Mormons settled in the Salt Lake Valley in 1847, they began colonizing nearby areas.
In 1855, cattlemen tending Brigham Young’s and other’s herds attempted a large settlement they called Elkhorn Ranch, in the present Nibley area. Unprepared for a severe winter, most of their cattle died and the ranch was all but abandoned for a few more years. A year later in 1856, Cache Valley’s first permanent settlement was established in Wellsville.