125 East Main, Franklin, ID 83237
The Hatch house is a Greek Revival style house built with local limestone in 1872 by Lorenzo H. Hatch, one of the earliest settlers of Franklin. A carpenter and farmer, he was the first Mormon Idaho legislator and served as mayor and Mormon bishop of Franklin. Since Hatch was the local bishop, he built his house large enough to accommodate visiting dignitaries and travelers. The original floor plan included a front parlor, hallway and staircase on one side, a kitchen in the back, and four bedrooms (three upstairs and one downstairs). A brick addition was built in 1905. Descendants of L.H. Hatch lived in the house until the 1940’s. It is on the National Register of Historic Places. The house is not open to the public.
This is also the site of the Doney house, which has been moved from its original location. It is the second oldest house in Idaho, built in 1864 by John Doney, and an example of a pioneer rock house. View both houses from the street.